By: Claire Georgiou, Reboot Naturopath, B.HSc ND
This lovely creamy chocolate is easy to make and absolutely delicious. It’s free from dairy and piles of sugar, and tastes slightly sweet, creamy and light. I’ve used hazelnuts for the ultimate combination of hazelnuts and chocolate — it tastes just like Nutella without all the nasties. You can add anything to this bark, such as additional sea salt, pepitas, sunflower seeds, almonds, pecans, macadamias, dried fruit, chilli flakes…the possibilities are endless!
- 3 cups (500g) of raw hazelnuts or 1 1/2 cups of nut butter* and 1 1/2 cups of whole nuts
- 1 cup (165g) of raw cacao butter
- 1/2 cup (100g) of coconut oil
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp of cacao powder
- 1/2 cup of honey or to taste
- 2 tsp of vanilla extract
- 1/4-1/2 tsp sea salt, to taste
*If using nut butter, skip steps 1-3, below.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Line a baking tray and bake all the hazelnuts for 7 minutes. Optional: Rub off the hazelnut skins between 2 layers of a tea towel.
- In a high powdered blender, blend 1/2 the nuts until a smooth consistency forms.
- Chop cacao butter into small pieces or pulse lightly in a food processor.
- Over a double boiler, melt cacao butter and stir until it is melted.
- Add in all remaining ingredients (except the remaining whole hazelnuts) and stir well over the heat until well combined.
- Line a flat tray (I used a slice tray) with baking paper and pour the chocolate mixture into it. Sprinkle the remaining whole hazelnuts over the chocolate mixture
- Place into the fridge or freezer to set.
- Break up into chocolate chards and serve to enjoy or store in an airtight container in the fridge.
Cacao Butter – coconut oil
Coconut oil – cacao butter
Cacao powder – carob powder
Honey – maple syrup, rice malt
Hazelnuts – any nut to your preferrence
Yields and nutritional information are estimated and will vary depending on produce size and equipment used.